A youth ensemble with a difference.
Britten Sinfonia Academy (BSA) brings together talented young instrumentalists from the east of England with its own world class chamber musicians. Each year Academy members take part in four special projects over eight weekends, learning how to perform collaboratively and trying out new skills, styles and musical genres whilst being mentored side by side by Britten Sinfonia players. It’s also a great way to make new, like-minded friends.
Each year’s projects are tailored to its participants. We have acted in museums, improvised with laptop artists, led family workshops, performed at festivals and premiered a number of new works.
Recent examples include:
– Learning to improvise with specialist musicians
– Trying out contemporary, folk and jazz music
– Performing at Latitude Festival
– Rehearsing under the baton of conductor Sir Mark Elder
– Presenting a family arts project in three Cambridge museums
– Performing the world premiere of their own specially commissioned music
– Collaborating with the Composer Hub in smaller chamber groups
The programme costs £350 per year and full and partial bursaries are available.
If you are aged 11-18 and play an instrument to Grade 7 standard, we would love to hear from you.
Applications close: Friday 15 February 2019
Who can apply?
We recruit for: violin | viola | cello | double bass | flute | oboe | clarinet | bassoon | horn | trumpet | trombone | percussion | harp | piano | composers
We welcome applicants who are:
– Secondary school aged
– Grade 7 standard or above
– based in the east of England
– Dynamic and passionate musicians willing to challenge themselves
– Willing to travel to courses across the east of England including Cambridge, Norwich, Saffron Walden and London
How to apply
To apply you must submit a completed online application form available here. The deadline is 5pm on Friday 15 February 2019.
Should you require a pdf version of the application form, please email [email protected] and we would be happy to supply accordingly.
There are two rounds of auditions: individual auditions held in March, and a group audition held in July.
First Round Individual Audition
Successful applicants will be invited to the first round of auditions. Auditions will take place in Cambridge on Saturday 9 March & Sunday 10 March 2019.
Auditionees are asked to:
– play two contrasting pieces lasting no more than 8 minutes altogether – an accompanist will be provided
– play a short orchestral extract from a selection that you will be sent to prepare in advance
– play a short sight reading task
Second Round Group Audition
Successful first round auditionees will be invited to attend a second round group audition on Saturday 20 July 2019, you must be available for this date.
For further information please read the Frequently Asked Questions.
Any queries contact [email protected] or call 01223 341019.